Send This Petition To Eric Holder Now!
Does Eric Holder’s ongoing investigation of Uber’s workplace sexism and sexual harassment also include the huge number of reported incidents of rape and sexual assault involving drivers and passengers?
Let’s make sure that he includes the documented complaints of aggression that occur away from their offices.
There needs to be an independent review of how these complaints have been handled.
Please read and sign the petition below.
Eric Holder, the former U.S. Attorney General (2009-2015) has been hired by Uber to investigate reports of sexism and sexual harassment among its employees. But a year ago, the online news source Buzzfeed reported that a leaked search of Uber’s database of complaints filed by drivers and passengers returned over 5800 inquiries containing the word “rape” and over 6100 containing the phrase “sexual assault”. Uber first falsely claimed the search criteria had over-inflated the number of such complaints, and later stated that only 5 incidents resulted in victims filing complaints with authorities and fewer than 170 inquiries resulted in warnings to drivers or termination. Read the Buzzfeed followup article here.
Uber has a long history of obfuscation, denial, and misrepresentation when confronted with damaging evidence. Additionally, in their own words, their business model is built on breaking the law and they have been fined and penalized around the world for ignoring regulations, rulings and authorities. Uber’s business model is founded on the argument that it is only a software provider and does not provide transportation services. Their use agreements with both drivers and passengers include language that hold them not responsible for whatever may happen when using the service. All of these factors create a systemic vulnerability for both drivers and passengers with no easy course of resolution. Eric Holder’s investigation must include both the thousands of customer inquiries that turned up in the database analysis, as well as the policies and methods to deal with them. Uber needs to ensure the safety of both drivers and passengers and to provide accountable procedures for handling illegal and unethical behavior.
This Is Our Petition:
Uber Technologies has a well known record of misogyny, obfuscation, dishonesty and lack of cooperation with authorities.
In June of 2016 Buzzfeed News reported that a search of Uber’s customer service inquiries showed that Uber had received over 5800 customer inquiries that included the word “rape” and over 6100 contained the phrase “sexual assault”. In response, Uber argued that only 5 of the inquiries referred to an incident of chargeable rape and “less than 170” referred to incidents of sexual assault. Uber refuses to provide access to its records or to explain how it substantiates its own statistics.
To date, there has been no reported independent investigation of either the admitted assaults or an inspection of the thousands of inquiries that the search returned.
Uber’s workplace ethics affect not only Uber employees but also their customers and contracted drivers. People need to be safe at Uber offices and in Uber vehicles.
Please include customer inquiries and complaints in your investigation of Uber’s abusive workplace misogyny and tolerance of sexual abuse.
*Please sign now and send an email directly to Eric Holder.
(Your email address will only be used on this petition.)
You can also use the form to:
*Tweet this directly to him.
*Post it to Facebook.
*Or do all three
Translate This Page
- Law enforcement cracking down on impaired drivers this 'drinksgiving' November 22, 2017Law enforcement cracking down on impaired drivers this 'drinksgiving' KSN-TV'Drinksgiving' DUI Checkpoint Planned In Montgomery County Patch.comFull coverage
- The Fortune 2018 Power Ranking: Who's Going to Have a Good Year November 22, 2017The Fortune 2018 Power Ranking: Who's Going to Have a Good Year FortuneFull coverage
- 'Uber only telling city what it wants to': Cabbie November 22, 2017'Uber only telling city what it wants to': Cabbie www.ottawacommunitynews.com/Full coverage
- The Rideshare Driver Who Chased Love Across the Ocean November 22, 2017The Rideshare Driver Who Chased Love Across the Ocean WIREDFull coverage
- Uber reveals cover-up of hack affecting 57M riders, drivers November 22, 2017Uber reveals cover-up of hack affecting 57M riders, drivers KTVU San FranciscoHackers stole data from 57M Uber riders, drivers – CEO RapplerUber Under Fire as It Belatedly Admits Hackers Stole Data Paul EisensteinUber's massive data breach gives rivals, critics a lift Toronto StarUber Paid Hackers to Delete Stolen Data on 57 Million People BloombergFull coverage
- Emanuel's 2018 budget approved; cost of phone fees and ride-share trips to rise November 21, 2017Emanuel's 2018 budget approved; cost of phone fees and ride-share trips to rise Chicago TribuneFull coverage
- Uber Hired Drivers With Criminal Records, Faces $8.9 Million Fine November 21, 2017Uber Hired Drivers With Criminal Records, Faces $8.9 Million Fine NewsweekUber faces big fine in Colorado for alleged inadequate driver background checks Denver Business JournalUber slapped with $9m fine for letting dodgy drivers pick up punters The RegisterUber fined $8.9 million by Colorado for allowing drivers with felony convictions, other driver's license issues The Denver Post!-! (Nov. 20) PUC […]
- Why Car Dealers Should Supply Vehicles to Uber and Lyft Drivers November 21, 2017Why Car Dealers Should Supply Vehicles to Uber and Lyft Drivers Ward's AutoWhat to Do if You are a Passenger in an Uber or Lyft Accident Legal Reader (blog)Lyft plans to operate more than 100 vehicles in Hamilton DeathRattleSports.comFull coverage
- Uber plans to buy 24000 autonomous Volvo SUVs in race for driverless future November 20, 2017Uber plans to buy 24000 autonomous Volvo SUVs in race for driverless future The GuardianVolvo Will Supply Uber With 24000 Self-Driving Cars The DriveVolvo to supply Uber with up to 24000 self-driving SUVs for taxi fleet Los Angeles TimesUber to buy up to 24000 Volvo cars for driverless fleet Financial TimesFull coverage
- The 2018 Fortune Crystal Ball: 59 Predictions for the Year Ahead November 20, 2017The 2018 Fortune Crystal Ball: 59 Predictions for the Year Ahead FortuneFull coverage