Send This Petition To Eric Holder Now!
Does Eric Holder’s ongoing investigation of Uber’s workplace sexism and sexual harassment also include the huge number of reported incidents of rape and sexual assault involving drivers and passengers?
Let’s make sure that he includes the documented complaints of aggression that occur away from their offices.
There needs to be an independent review of how these complaints have been handled.
Please read and sign the petition below.
Eric Holder, the former U.S. Attorney General (2009-2015) has been hired by Uber to investigate reports of sexism and sexual harassment among its employees. But a year ago, the online news source Buzzfeed reported that a leaked search of Uber’s database of complaints filed by drivers and passengers returned over 5800 inquiries containing the word “rape” and over 6100 containing the phrase “sexual assault”. Uber first falsely claimed the search criteria had over-inflated the number of such complaints, and later stated that only 5 incidents resulted in victims filing complaints with authorities and fewer than 170 inquiries resulted in warnings to drivers or termination. Read the Buzzfeed followup article here.
Uber has a long history of obfuscation, denial, and misrepresentation when confronted with damaging evidence. Additionally, in their own words, their business model is built on breaking the law and they have been fined and penalized around the world for ignoring regulations, rulings and authorities. Uber’s business model is founded on the argument that it is only a software provider and does not provide transportation services. Their use agreements with both drivers and passengers include language that hold them not responsible for whatever may happen when using the service. All of these factors create a systemic vulnerability for both drivers and passengers with no easy course of resolution. Eric Holder’s investigation must include both the thousands of customer inquiries that turned up in the database analysis, as well as the policies and methods to deal with them. Uber needs to ensure the safety of both drivers and passengers and to provide accountable procedures for handling illegal and unethical behavior.
This Is Our Petition:
Uber Technologies has a well known record of misogyny, obfuscation, dishonesty and lack of cooperation with authorities.
In June of 2016 Buzzfeed News reported that a search of Uber’s customer service inquiries showed that Uber had received over 5800 customer inquiries that included the word “rape” and over 6100 contained the phrase “sexual assault”. In response, Uber argued that only 5 of the inquiries referred to an incident of chargeable rape and “less than 170” referred to incidents of sexual assault. Uber refuses to provide access to its records or to explain how it substantiates its own statistics.
To date, there has been no reported independent investigation of either the admitted assaults or an inspection of the thousands of inquiries that the search returned.
Uber’s workplace ethics affect not only Uber employees but also their customers and contracted drivers. People need to be safe at Uber offices and in Uber vehicles.
Please include customer inquiries and complaints in your investigation of Uber’s abusive workplace misogyny and tolerance of sexual abuse.
*Please sign now and send an email directly to Eric Holder.
(Your email address will only be used on this petition.)
You can also use the form to:
*Tweet this directly to him.
*Post it to Facebook.
*Or do all three
Translate This Page
- Rochester flocks to ridesharing but wheelchair users left out - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle August 16, 2017Rochester Democrat and ChronicleRochester flocks to ridesharing but wheelchair users left outRochester Democrat and ChronicleAs Uber and Lyft mark over a month upstate, Woodward said the CDR is ready to use advocacy and pursue litigation if ridesharing companies fail to provide service to wheelchair users. “Unless they start putting action into what they're saying, and […]
- Uber Can't Keep Driving Itself - WIRED August 16, 2017WIREDUber Can't Keep Driving ItselfWIREDWhen Benchmark Capital distributed a letter this week about its lawsuit against former Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, it was addressed to Uber's employees. But make no mistake: It wasn't written primarily for them. The letter quickly became a scavenger hunt ...and more »
- Judge Doesn't Like Chicago's Ban on Ads in Ubers - Courthouse News Service August 11, 2017Courthouse News ServiceJudge Doesn't Like Chicago's Ban on Ads in UbersCourthouse News ServiceCHICAGO (CN) — A federal judge refused to dismiss a constitutional lawsuit challenging a Chicago law that prohibits Uber, Lyft and other rideshare drivers from displaying ads and entertainment inside and outside their cars. Vugo, a Minneapolis-based ...
- Vugo given green light to continue lawsuit vs city over Uber, Lyft ad ban - Cook County Record August 10, 2017Cook County RecordVugo given green light to continue lawsuit vs city over Uber, Lyft ad banCook County RecordA Minneapolis-based tech firm which provides interactive video advertising to be displayed in Uber and Lyft vehicles has received a green light to continue its legal challenge against a Chicago city ordinance barring such advertising in the vehicles […]
- Ridesharing Legislation May Trigger New Wave of Litigation | Daily ... - Daily Business Review (registration) August 10, 2017Daily Business Review (registration)Ridesharing Legislation May Trigger New Wave of Litigation | Daily ...Daily Business Review (registration)On July 1, Florida legislators enacted a new law, Florida Statute Section 627.748, imposing new insurance requirements for ridesharing companies; and, provid.and more »
- It will take a lot to kill businesses like Uber | Opinion - Sun Sentinel - Sun Sentinel August 7, 2017Sun SentinelIt will take a lot to kill businesses like Uber | Opinion - Sun SentinelSun SentinelDespite shooting itself in the foot again and again, Uber continues to hold a pretty commanding share of what is still a growing market.and more »
- Could co-ops replace ridesharing companies like Uber? - Salon August 5, 2017SalonCould co-ops replace ridesharing companies like Uber?SalonBecause I have a neurological disability that prevents me from driving, Uber has been a godsend for me, and I am certain that many other disabled individuals who can't drive feel the same way. That said, regularly using Uber for transportation can get ...
- In a Year of Uber Scandal, Lyft Keeps Cruising - Seattle Weekly August 2, 2017USA TODAYIn a Year of Uber Scandal, Lyft Keeps CruisingSeattle WeeklyLast year, when Seattle Weekly put the call out for “best rideshare,” Seattle voted for Uber. This year, by a landslide, the winner was Lyft. And true, times have been tough for the brash rideshare giant. Scandals at everyone's favorite company to hate ...Judge dismisses […]
- Uber, Lyft Each Add Half of Ex-Power Couple as Lobbying Quickens - Bloomberg BNA July 27, 2017TechCabalUber, Lyft Each Add Half of Ex-Power Couple as Lobbying QuickensBloomberg BNAProtect your clients by developing strategies based on Litigation. ... Heather Podesta, the founder of Invariant, is lobbying for Uber on labor, transportation, and other issues. ... The Podestas aren't the only lobbyists working for the ride-sharing ...Contact driver about a lost item | […]
- Judge hears taxi driver's lawsuit in Jefferson Parish - FOX 8 WVUE ... - FOX 8 News WVUE-TV July 25, 2017FOX 8 News WVUE-TVJudge hears taxi driver's lawsuit in Jefferson Parish - FOX 8 WVUE ...FOX 8 News WVUE-TVTaxi drivers in Kenner are suing the city over an ordinance they say is unfair. The case will be heard in Gretna Tuesday morning.and more »